What's so scary about high-energy blue light?
High-energy blue light is part of the visible spectrum of light. Most of us know to protect our eyes against the sun, but high-energy blue light from digital screens and energy-efficient lighting bombards our eyes daily and may lead to eye strain and fatigue and eventually vision loss. Fortunately, lutein and the zeaxanthin isomers (RR-zeaxanthin and RS [meso]-zeaxanthin) support eye health by acting as powerful antioxidants and filtering high-energy blue light.1,2 They are the only three carotenoids that are preferentially deposited in the macula where most oxidative stress from high-energy blue light occurs.
More about high-energy blue light and macular carotenoids
Some important facts about high-energy blue light, lutein and zeaxanthin
- Significant exposure of high-energy blue light comes from LED screens that include televisions, tablets, smartphones and computers as well as indoor lighting (CFL or LED) and even LED car headlights
- 90% of all indoor light sources will soon be LED and CFL — both emit high-energy blue light
- High-energy blue light penetrates deep into the eye and directly impacts the macula — the area of the eye responsible for highest visual sharpness
- High-energy blue light can lead to digital eye fatigue while long term cumulative effects can lead to a progressive loss of visual function
- Even consuming the daily recommended amounts of fruits and vegetable may not provide levels of lutein and zeaxanthin isomers shown to be beneficial in research
More from leading macular carotenoid researcher Dr. James Stringham
So, What’s Your B.L.U.E.™?
Is it TVs? Tablets? Computer screens? Mobile phones? Outdoor sports? Indoor lighting?
What’s Your B.L.U.E.?™ (Blue Light User Exposure) is an exciting new initiative to inform everyone about high-energy blue light, its sources and ways to help protect healthy vision from its effects with the support of the macular carotenoids — lutein and zeaxanthin isomers.
Look for Lutemax 2020® in your supplement
Lutemax 2020® is an award-winning ingredient — lutein with enhanced levels of zeaxanthin isomers. With a balanced 5:1 ratio — the same ratio found in nature — Lutemax 2020 helps protect your eyes against harmful high-energy blue light and supports the maintenance of healthy vision and general health over your lifetime. When purchasing your premium eye health supplement, make sure you see Lutemax 2020 on the bottle.
Get more info on Lutemax 2020®
1. D Max Snodderly. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995; 62 (suppl): 1448S-61S;
2. Bone RA, et al. Exp Eye Res. 1997; 64: 211-218
3. Mares-Perlman JA, et al. Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153(5): 424-32.
4. The Lowdown on Blue Light: Good vs. Bad, and Its Connection to AMD. Rev of Opt. 2014; reviewofoptometry.com.
5. Pew Research 2012. pewinternet.org.
6. Smick K et al. Blue light hazard: New knowledge, new approaches to maintaining ocular health. Report of a roundtable.
7. Chew E and SanGiovanni JP. Lutein. Encyclopedia of Dietary Supplements. Marcel Dekker, 2005.409-420.
8. GRAS Notice (GRN) No. 385.